Last week Merchantry ventured west and attended the Internet Retailer Conference and Exhibition (IRCE) 2012 in Chicago. This year saw record attendance for the eighth annual event—over 8,600 attendees! There were over 575 exhibits, 175 expert speakers, and more than 100 sessions to attend. With so much to do, see and learn, it’s difficult to summarize such a massive event but we’ve tried!
Five things we learned at IRCE 2012:
- Forrester analyst, Sucharita Mulpuru, announced that every retailer needs a marketplace
- 66% of consumers rank multiple product views as essential; therefore, it’s important to pay attention to product close-ups—make sure they are significantly bigger
- According to Fareed Zakaria, special guest speaker, the average smartphone is more powerful than the Apollo space shuttle—no wonder 77% of all smartphone users look up product information online while in stores
- Offering shoppers a guest checkout option may increase sales—many consumers are unwilling to fill out lengthy registration forms
- Retailers can create a stronger connection to prospects and customers by syncing with social media such as Facebook
Next year’s IRCE 2013 will also be held in Chicago. Register early and let’s make it even bigger and better than this year. Merchantry will be there!